Passionate. Dedicated. Determined.
Contra omnes dissident.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Based in Glenforest Secondary School in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, Team 6070 – Gryphon Machine consists of over 50+ students from Grades 9 through 12 from various academic streams including the International Baccalaureate, Regional Enhanced, and University and College Preparation programs. Founded in December of 2015, FRC 6070 is a team of students and mentors very passionate about Robotics and STEAM, keen to be involved in their community by promoting and instilling the missions and core values of FIRST within themselves and the world around them.
Team 6070 – Gryphon Machine’s inaugural FIRST Season, also known as a “Rookie Year”, was FIRST Stronghold 2016. As a part of the FIRST Family, the team competes in the FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) – a dynamic competition that combines the excitement of sport with the rigours of science and technology. Under strict rules, limited resources, and an intense six-week time limit, teams of students are challenged to raise funds, design a team “brand,” hone teamwork skills, and build and program industrial-size robots to play a difficult field game against like-minded competitors. It’s as close to real-world engineering as a student can get.
But FIRST is More Than Robots. As such, the non-technical side of FRC is just as equally as important as the technical. This side of FRC allows members to improve their presentation, business, and essay writing skills, artistic creativity, as well as teaching them how to interact with people in real-world industries, all in a creative and stimulating environment.
Currently, Team 6070 hosts weekly meetings Monday and Wednesday after school, where new team members are able to be trained by the previous year’s members and the team meets to work on various off-season projects, before the new FIRST Season begins in January.
Winner of the District Engineering Inspiration Award and Safety Award at FIRST Robotics’ 2018 Durham College District Event; Team Spirit Award and Winning Alliance at FIRST Robotics’ 2017 Western University District Event and Team Spirit and Safety Award at FIRST Robotics’ 2017 McMaster University District Event.
WHAT CAN YOU LEARN?
- Leadership, Presentation, and Collaboration Skills
- Hands-On Learning in STEM Areas such as Design, Mechanical, Electrical, Engineering, Machining and Programming
- Creative Problem Solving
- Interacting with Sponsors and Supporters in Professional Industries
- Communication Skills such as creating Business Plans, planning Events, Writing Essays, and Professional Speaking
- Branding Skills such as Professional Handling of Social Media Platforms, Photography, Video Editing, Photoshop
“Our Mission is to inspire, empower, and spread the message of FIRST within ourselves and our community, while also raising awareness for Robotics, Engineering, and the STEAM fields.”
– Team 6070: Gryphon Machine
ABOUT THE SCHOOL
Glenforest Secondary School, located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, hosts as the home of Team 6070 – Gryphon Machine. It boasts a wide variety of well-developed and successful academic programs, as well as numerous award winning students, teachers, extracurricular clubs, and teams.
- Has strong and established International Baccalaureate Program (IB)
- IB Diploma Programme (Grades 11 – 12)
- IB Middle Years Programme (Grades 9 – 10)
- Has a strong and established Enhanced (Gifted) Program
- Grades 9 – 12
Has a supportive and excellent program for Academic/University Prep, Applied/College,
Workplace/Life Skills students
- Two recipients of the 2014 Canada’s Top 20 Under 20 Awards were Glenforest S.S. students
Many Glenforest S.S. students have been accepted into and have studied at Ivy League schools in the United States (MIT, Harvard, Brown, Stanford, John Hopkins, and other Universities), as well as Medical, Engineering, and other professional schools in Canada and abroad
In 2017, at least 18 Glenforest S.S. students were accepted into the prestigious SHAD Valley 2017 Program
- Many Glenforest S.S. students have been Gold, Silver, and Bronze awards winners of Regional and National Science Fairs
- Many Glenforest S.S. students have been winners of National and International Mathematics, Computer Programming, and Science Contests
Glenforest S.S. has many strong and established extracurricular clubs in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
- Science Club
- Computer Science and Programming Club
- A/V Crew (Audio Visual Club)
- Youth Medical Association
- Brain Bee Team (Neuroscience Club)
- Green Team (Environmental Club)
- Math Club
- Glenforest STEM – www.glenforeststem.com